no avatar

Gate City sides fall by 3-0 scores in Mountain 7 finals

By TANNER COOK • May 21, 2019 at 12:40 AM

BRISTOL, Va. — The Gate City boys and girls soccer teams took the field Monday night at Sugar Hollow Park in their respective Mountain 7 District tournament finals.

First up were the Lady Blue Devils, who fell to unbeaten John Battle 3-0 behind three second-half goals.

Gate City’s boys lost by the same margin in a physical and tense match with Abingdon.

All the teams have already clinched regional berths.


The Lady Blue Devils had a tough time trying to penetrate a tough John Battle back line, managing only six shots.

Four of them were on goal, but two sailed wide right at the last moment.

Following a scrum in the front of the goal, Jasmine Wiles scored on a corner kick in the 47th minute.

Battle’s next goal came in the 67th when captain Michaela Monk put one over Gate City goalkeeper Brooklyn Smith’s head off a free kick. The big looping shot came from nearly 35 yards away and provided a much-needed insurance goal.

Not even a full minute later, Madison Chappell got past the back line and buried the ball in the back of the net for the final tally.


Abingdon — playing its second game after the tragic death of senior captain Kirk Nairn — came out with a purpose in a game that was chippy from the start.

With both team trying to assert their will, yellow and red cards came in bunches. Abingdon was booked for three yellows and Gate City one, but a red card in the second half to a Gate City assistant coach seemed to be the final straw for a frustrated Blue Devils side.

Abingdon scored its first goal in the 26th minute when Bryton Vandyke’s shot banged off the far post and went in. Just two minutes later, Bryce Addison put a corner kick past goalkeeper Luke Reed.

The final tally came in the 78th when Corey Britt juked his defender and sneaked one into the back right corner.

Abingdon stayed in Gate City territory and the Blue Devils managed only four shots. The Falcons peppered Reed with 30 shots, 14 on goal, and the keeper made nine hard-fought saves.

In the consolation game, John Battle blanked Union 2-0.