no avatar

Bernshausen tally in second OT lifts Cyclones past Rebels

By Allen LaMountain, Sports Correspondent • May 8, 2019 at 2:44 AM

ELIZABETHTON — Eighty minutes weren’t enough to decide Tuesday’s District 1-AA boys soccer match at Citizens Bank Stadium.

In the 98th minute, Elizabethton senior Luke Bernshausen scored a header off his own direct kick to give the Cyclones a 3-2 overtime win over Sullivan South.

“We had plenty of chances and didn’t finish,” Rebels coach Keith Parker said. “I think we should have ended the game before regulation ended, but that’s the way it goes.

“Both teams played hard and EHS is good at set pieces — and we gave up a penalty and they scored on it.”

The Cyclones (12-2-1) got on the scoreboard in the 17th after a handball penalty was called on South’s Luke Pollack in the penalty area. Senior midfielder Luke Bernshausen connected on the penalty kick to the right of goalkeeper Aaron Stokes, giving the Cyclones a 1-nil advantage.

The Rebels (10-6) got the equalizer in the 24th when Luis Ramos directed a rebound off a shot from Ayden Hale past Cyclones keeper Noah Lambert. Hale made a move past Kellen Murphy toward the end line and fired a shot at Lambert, who made the save but couldn’t hold onto the ball. Ramos knocked it to the back of the net.

The match went into the half knotted at 1 and neither squad could gain much of an advantage in the early portion of the second half. South managed two shots on goal, but Lambert was up to the task of stopping each one.

The Cyclones got a shot from Evan Fulmer that Stokes handled. A minute later, however, senior Teagan Bernshausen had a breakaway and took a point blank-range shot on which Stokes made a tremendous punch save. No one from Elizabethton was there for the rebound, and South dodged a bullet.

In the 61st, the Cyclones took the lead when Luke Bernshausen took a pass from Fulmer and drove a shot past Stokes high and to his right.

In the 63rd, South was awarded a penalty kick and a Ramos shot was blocked by Lambert on a sprawling save. But Ramos got the Rebels even in the 70th when a penalty gave him a direct kick from 18 yards out, and he went top shelf just under the crossbar to make it a 2-2 contest.

The game went to overtime and the first of two 10-minute periods. The Rebels had shot on goal in the scoreless period.

With just over two minutes remaining in the second overtime, Bernshausen got a free kick from 24 yards out and, following his shot, headed it past Stokes for his third goal of the match and a 3-2 Cyclones lead.

The Rebels scrambled for the equalizer over the last 2:32 seconds but couldn’t come up with it.