Edmond Earl Stanley, 22, 471 Honeycutt Road, Rogersville, was arrested the evening of Oct. 21, 2017 shortly after allegedly running over and fatally injuring 48-year-old Ricky Golden.
Attorney General Dan Armstrong told the Times News Tuesday that the evidence wouldn’t support the original charge.
“During the course of the investigation, it became apparent that we would not be able to prove certain elements that are required to maintain the more serious charge,” Armstrong said. “That’s why we presented that (vehicular homicide) to the grand jury.”
Vehicular homicide is a Class C felony punishable by 3-6 years.
At the time of his death, Golden had been staying in a barn at 407 Rocky Hollow Road near Surgoinsville with a female companion for about three weeks.
The female told the HCSO that Stanley had been harassing them recently.
She stated that on the night of the incident, Stanley pulled up to the barn in a gray primer flatbed pickup, and an argument occurred between Stanley and Golden.
Golden reportedly put up his hands and asked, “What’s your problem?” — at which time Stanley allegedly replied, “You don’t know who you’re messing with.”
The female stated that Stanley then gunned his engine and struck Golden with the passenger side of the truck, before leaving the scene.
Golden reportedly grasped his chest and complained he couldn’t breathe. The female called 911 and drove Golden to a nearby intersection to meet EMS.
While detectives were at the barn that night, Stanley drove by, was identified as the suspect and was arrested.
Stanley reportedly stated that he didn’t intend to strike Golden and didn’t realize he had done so until he was arrested.
Stanley is free on bond pending arraignment in Hawkins County Criminal Court set for Aug. 31.
* Timothy Eric Hite, 37, no known address, for aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery.
* Daniel Kent Wade, 46, 1117 Windsor St., Kingsport, for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
* Leonard Brad Eidson, 43, 357 Robertson Creek Road, Bulls Gap, for aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, aggravated burglary and theft under $1,000.
* Manuel Caleb Andrew Frank Riner, 25, 1402 Meadowbrook Drive, Johnson City, for aggravated burglary, three counts of aggravated kidnapping and possession of a firearm by an intoxicated person.
* Jonathan Blake Skeens, 27, 119 Mitchell Loop, Rogersville, for misdemeanor escape.
* Timothy Edward Griffin, 35, 665 Gilbreath Road, Mosheim, for felony escape.
* Michael Shane Hoppenstedt, 33, 2034 Adair St., Kingsport, for aggravated burglary and theft over $1,000.
* Nathan David Lee Simpson, 28, 650 E. Sevier St., Apt. 123, Kingsport, for theft over $1,000 and failure to appear.
* Christian Lee Romines, 23, 1209 Fairview Ave., Kingsport, for four counts of aggravated burglary, theft over $10,000, three counts of theft over $2,500, vandalism over $2,500 and vandalism.
* Robert Benjamin Hobbs, 40, 209 Russell Drive, Rogersville, for possession of meth with intent to deliver.